Friday, May 30, 2008

Pre-Trip Countdown #1!!

I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this trip to Europe since the fall semester! I am so excited to travel abroad and study art. What an amazing opportunity!


But first, a little background...


I just finished my freshman year at HPU as a psychology major and studio art minor in an attempt to attend graduate school and become an art therapist. Psychology and art are my two academic loves, so what better way to have my cake and eat it, too? Also, given my life experiences, therapy as a profession seems like a no-brainer.


My interests outside of school include listening to music (Lenny Kravitz, Ben Harper, and Garbage are a couple faves), being outdoors (hiking, canoeing, getting the mail, etc), spending time with my menagerie at home (2 greyhounds, 1 whippet, 4 cats), and practicing Astanga Yoga.


I decided to take this Art in Europe course and travel overseas for the first time because I wanted to experience other cultures, try new things, and meet new people. (I don't really know anyone from school going on this trip.) The only serious traveling I've done is to the southwest US (which I love, but it pales in comparision to the grandeur of Europe), and I figured I had nothing to lose. Who knows when I will get the opportunity to go back?


Over the trip, I hope to see anything and everything as far as art and architecture is concerned. Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what to expect at all. Top on my list of things to see are Michelangelo's David, the sculpture of Laocoon, and Notre Dame cathedral.


Speaking of Laocoon, to the left is a photo of the sculpture. I've selected this piece as an example of art that speaks to me because I remember studying it first semester and thinking to myself, "I have GOT to see that." The anguish so uncontrollably displayed on the faces and through the awkward contortions of the bodies is so raw and powerful and REAL, and I've never seen anything so expressive. Looking at it gives me chills. I am very excited to see this in person at the Vatican.

No comments: